Tuesday, September 9, 2008

14 Months in a Wobbly World

Today Nolan is 14 months old!! It feels like it was just yesterday I was posting his 1st birthday pics and now 2 months later he has changed so much. He is learning more and more words. The newest favorites are "cookie" and "cracker"~ his little voice is so adorable!!! His receptive language and comprehension is fabulous as well. He is following so many directions and has been pointing to objects in books that we ask him to for the longest time. His little vocabulary is just amazing~ as a speech therapist I have an understanding of how children develop their language skills, but to get a front row seat each and every day is a totally different story :)

And of course we have all learned the true meaning of a "toddler". He is walking around everywhere!!! He went so quickly from being timid about walking and just taking a few steps here and there to being a full blown walking machine :) Along with this new adventure comes some ups and downs, literally. For instance, on the eve of his 14 month birthday I wasn't feeling all that well so I was downstairs in our bedroom and Bill and Nolan were upstairs in the bonus room which is directly above our bedroom. All of a sudden I hear a loud thump and immediate cries. I of course spring into panic mode and run upstairs to survey the damage. I open the door to the bonus room and find Bill holding Nolan and blood spewing from Nolan's mouth. WHAT?!?!?! Ok..so this is our first experience with blood and I try not to totally freak out. Nolan is screaming and crying and reaching for mama so we rush him to the bathroom and begin the calming/examination process. Turns out Nolan took a little wobbly spill and hit his mouth on his little tent/fort toy. I think he also bit his lip in the process. My poor little Roo :( After we calmed him down and stopped the bleeding the world was ok again. He drank some more milk and we attempted to put an ice pack on his new injury. BTW- I read in a magazine that a mom put the salad dressing, etc. packs from fast food restaurants in the freezer to use as ice packs because they are the perfect size. Bill laughed at me when he initially found little frozen salad dressing packs in the freezer, but now he knows you never know when you will need them :) So needless to say Nolan has a fat lip on his 14 month birthday, but it certainly hasn't slowed him down one bit at all and we all survived our first bloody experience- unfortunately I have a feeling this is just the first of many with my active and adventurous little Roo.

5 comments:

rebecca said...

Poor baby and poor mama, too! Those first spills are probably worse on you. Good idea on the salad dressing ice packs.

Laura said...

I love the ice pack idea! Poor Nolan (and Tasha :))! The sight of blood is definitely scary.

Anna said...

First blood is so tough. I'm glad you've both recovered.

Courtney said...

We got our sweet package!!! THANK YOU!!!!!
And poor Nolan's ouchy-I am sure he is OK now ;)

Mike and Allison said...

Poor little guy! And poor mommy and daddy! Hope you are all doing well now! I also so that article about the ice packs but I have not done that yet... I am glad to know that they work!